Advice for women upon divorce

It's a common misconception that a woman’s surname automatically reverts to her maiden name / former name upon divorce. The fact is that, unless you specifically ask government departments, organisations and companies to change your name on your official documents and records, they will continue to refer to you by your married name even though you are now divorced.

If you do ask government departments, organisations and companies to change your name on your documents and records upon divorce, they will ask you to produce ‘documentary evidence’ of the name change.

The term 'documentary evidence' simply refers to a legal document that can be used as evidence of your intention to use a different name to the one you're currently using. A Deed Poll is the most common form of documentary evidence used as proof of a legal change of name upon divorce in the United Kingdom.

Every year thousands of women use a Deed Poll to change their name upon divorce. The most popular choices are -

  • Changing your surname back to your maiden name / former name (either keeping the title of Mrs or changing your title to Ms or Miss), or
  • Changing to an entirely new surname e.g. to a new partner's surname instead of remarrying, or
  • Changing your surname back to a former spouse's surname (e.g. your first spouse’s surname if you've been married more than once before)

Whichever you choose, changing your name and title upon divorce using a Deed Poll is no different from the procedure you followed when you changed your name upon marriage (i.e. you would have written to all the organisations that hold your records explaining that you were changing your name, and you would have enclosed with your letter your marriage certificate as evidence of the name change).

To reverse this upon divorce, you simply do the same i.e. write to each of the organisations that holds your records (click on this link to view a sample letter) explaining that you're changing your name upon divorce, and simply enclose a Deed Poll (or a legal copy) as evidence of the name change. Each organisation will then update your documents and records to show the name you want to use now that you're divorced.

You can apply to change your name (and title if you wish) by Deed Poll now, by clicking on this link.

However, if any of the following applies to you, before you apply for a Deed Poll click on this link to read more about your change of name rights and options upon divorce -

  • You want to change your name before your divorce is finalised
  • You want to know if you can use a decree absolute and marriage certificate instead of using a Deed Poll as evidence of your name change upon divorce
  • You want to change your first name and/or add middle names at the same time as changing a surname upon divorce
  • You plan to travel overseas soon after changing your name upon divorce
  • You want to change your child's name upon divorce
  • You want to know if your ex-partner can force you to change your name upon divorce
  • You have specific questions about changing your name (and/or title) upon divorce


Sections in this article
Click on the links below to view each section of this article:

1.         Advice for women upon divorce (Viewing)
2.         FAQs about changing a woman's name upon divorce

Page accuracy last checked today by Miranda O'Hara, Snr. Deed Poll Officer. Status: Passed.

Eamonn Holmes explains
how to legally change your
(or your child's) name
Live Chat



Call back

Latest Tweets

  • FAQ - Do I need to get a solicitor to witness my signature on the Deed Poll? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:49
  • FAQ - Do I need to send my Deed Poll back to you once I have signed it? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:48
  • FAQ - I'm trying to find a record of a relative's name change. What do I need to do? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:44
  • FAQ - I am a transsexual and wish to change my name by Deed Poll. Can I also change my title? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:42
  • FAQ - I am changing my surname to my boyfriend's surname. Can I use the title 'Mrs' without getting married? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:39
  • FAQ - I've lost my Deed Poll, where can I get a copy from? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:38
  • FAQ - Can I use photocopies of my Deed Poll so I don't need to keep sending out the original? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:33
  • FAQ - Will my new passport or driving licence mention my old name? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:28
  • FAQ - Do I need to notify the Criminal Records Bureau of my name change by Deed Poll? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:24
  • FAQ - Can I get my educational certificates changed after I have changed my name? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:19
  • FAQ - Can I still use my existing name at work? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:14
  • FAQ - Can I change my child's name without the father's consent? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:09
  • FAQ - Are there any other fees payable after I have paid for my Deed Poll? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:04
  • FAQ - How much does is cost to change your name by Deed Poll? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:03
  • FAQ - Why is this service so cost-effective when compared with the fees charged by a solicitor? Click Here @ 06/03/2014 18:59
  • FAQ - I'm separated and in the process of divorcing my husband - can I change my name? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 18:57
  • FAQ - I'm getting married abroad and I've been told that my Deed Poll must be legalised - how does it work? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 18:52
  • FAQ - I want to change my name but I want to continue using my existing name at work - can I do it? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 18:51
  • You may need to get your Deed Poll legalised if you intend to use it in a foreign country - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 18:50
  • How do you change your birth certificate? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 18:48
Get in touchClose
Request a Call Back (Popout)
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *

The Legal Deed Poll Service is rated 4.90 stars by based on 3839 reviews