•   30 August 2014. This was so easy to do. I am still amazed at how easy and inexpensive it all was, with no extra charges either. I have recommended the website to two of my sisters already. Thank you Legal Deed Poll. 

    Nikki, Rutherglen, Glasgow.

Advice for women upon marriage

It's a common misconception that a woman’s surname automatically changes to her spouse's surname upon marriage. The fact is that, unless you specifically ask government departments, organisations and companies to change your name on your official documents and records, they will continue to refer to you by your maiden name even though you are now married.

If you do decide to make some changes to your name upon marriage, in order to get the new name put on all your official documents and records, you will simply need to write a letter to each of the organisations that hold records about you (click on this link to view a sample letter) and enclose with your letter 'documentary evidence' of the name change.

Documentary evidence is simply the term used to describe a legal document that can be used as evidence of your intention to use a name that is different to the one you are currently using.

Whilst you only need to enclose one form of documentary evidence of your name change, there are two different types of documentary evidence that the relevant organisations can accept from you. These are -

  1. Your marriage certificate (if you are just changing your surname to your spouse's surname)

    If you're simply taking your spouse’s surname without making any other changes to your name, a Deed Poll is not required. To change your name on all your official documents and records, you simply need to send your marriage certificate to each of the organisations that holds your records (e.g. bank, doctor, HMRC, Passport Office, DVLA, etc).

  2. A Deed Poll (if you are changing your name to anything other than just your spouse's surname, or if you are making any other changes to your name)

    A Deed Poll is only required if you want to do anything other than just take the surname of your spouse, for instance if you want to -

    • Add your maiden name / former name as a middle name

    • Double-barrel your surname with your spouse's surname

    • Combine (mesh) your surname with your spouse's surname to create an entirely new surname

If you do want to make some changes to your name other than simply taking your spouse's surname upon marriage, or if you have specific questions about changing your name upon marriage, click on this link to go to our FAQs section to read more about your name change rights and options.


Sections in this article
Click on the links below to view each section of this article:

1.         Advice for women upon marriage (Viewing)
2.         FAQs about changing a woman's name upon marriage.

Page accuracy last checked today by Ellen Marshall, Snr. Deed Poll Officer. Status: Passed.

Eamonn Holmes explains
how to legally change your
(or your child's) name

Latest Tweets

  • FAQ - Do I need to get a solicitor to witness my signature on the Deed Poll? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:49
  • FAQ - Do I need to send my Deed Poll back to you once I have signed it? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:48
  • FAQ - I'm trying to find a record of a relative's name change. What do I need to do? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:44
  • FAQ - I am a transsexual and wish to change my name by Deed Poll. Can I also change my title? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:42
  • FAQ - I am changing my surname to my boyfriend's surname. Can I use the title 'Mrs' without getting married? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:39
  • FAQ - I've lost my Deed Poll, where can I get a copy from? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:38
  • FAQ - Can I use photocopies of my Deed Poll so I don't need to keep sending out the original? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:33
  • FAQ - Will my new passport or driving licence mention my old name? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:28
  • FAQ - Do I need to notify the Criminal Records Bureau of my name change by Deed Poll? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:24
  • FAQ - Can I get my educational certificates changed after I have changed my name? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:19
  • FAQ - Can I still use my existing name at work? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:14
  • FAQ - Can I change my child's name without the father's consent? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:09
  • FAQ - Are there any other fees payable after I have paid for my Deed Poll? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:04
  • FAQ - How much does is cost to change your name by Deed Poll? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 19:03
  • FAQ - Why is this service so cost-effective when compared with the fees charged by a solicitor? Click Here @ 06/03/2014 18:59
  • FAQ - I'm separated and in the process of divorcing my husband - can I change my name? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 18:57
  • FAQ - I'm getting married abroad and I've been told that my Deed Poll must be legalised - how does it work? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 18:52
  • FAQ - I want to change my name but I want to continue using my existing name at work - can I do it? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 18:51
  • You may need to get your Deed Poll legalised if you intend to use it in a foreign country - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 18:50
  • How do you change your birth certificate? - Click Here @ 06/03/2014 18:48

Call back

Get in touchClose
Request a Call Back (Popout)
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *

The Legal Deed Poll Service is rated 4.90 stars by Reviews.co.uk based on 3839 reviews